Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Apple Cider Doughnuts





Apple Cider Doughnuts

My kindergartner's class took a field trip to a nearby farm to pick pumpkins the other day.  We took a fun hay ride, fed the chickens and goats, rode go-carts, climbed up and slid down slides and jumped on anything that jumping was allowed on and ran as much as we could before it was time to go.  On our way out the door I noticed some Apple Cider Doughnuts for sale.  I was tempted to buy some, the name alone sounded inviting...but I forwent a "purchased treat" as I usually do.  However, a friend had bought some and offered me one.  I couldn't say no to that!  One bite and I was hooked!  I HAD to try making these!  I started with an Ina Garten recipe (LOVE her!), replaced the milk with apple cider and omitted the cinnamon to  make way for the lesser known, but my favorite spice, cardamom.  The Finns love using cardamom in their breads and sweets and I came to love it in Finland.  My friend Pinja, (her name in Finnish means Pine tree!) is from Finland and gave me a lifetime supply of cardamom that her mother had brought her directly from Finland.  So I used my Finnish Cardamom in this recipe, let's just say it's the secret ingredient!  You can find cardamom in the spice section at a good grocery store.  It has a wonderful fragrance.  Everyone has gone CRAZY for these doughnuts!  You'll need a doughnut pan...King Arthur Flour has a some but you can try Williams and Sonoma, Target or Michaels.  My doughnut pan makes about 3 inch doughnuts, which I think is the perfect size!

Batter:
2 cups flour
1 1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon cardamom
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 large egg, beaten
1 1/4 cup apple cider or apple juice
2 tablespoons melted butter
2 teaspoons vanilla

Topping:
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1-2 cubes melted butter

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray doughnut pan with baking spray.  In large bowl stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, nutmeg, cardamom and salt.  In small bowl, whisk together eggs, apple cider, melted butter and vanilla.  Stir wet mixture into the dry and stir until just combined.  Spoon batter into doughnut pans, about 3/4 full.  Bake for 17 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.  Remove from oven and let stand a few minutes before turning out onto a rimmed baking sheet.  Melt butter to roll doughnuts in.  In a small bowl mix sugar and cinnamon.  Dip both sides of doughnuts in butter and then roll in cinnamon sugar.  You CAN avoid the butter dipping and simply roll the baked doughnuts in cinnamon sugar if you want to.   
Fall at the Farm

2 comments:

  1. Since I've tried these doughnuts from you now my taste buds crave them! Thanks for the recipe and the beautiful pictures on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tracy! It so glad I could share these with you! That's what food and friends are for! Hope you enjoy the recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Design by Caked Designs