Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Fresh Mozarella Bruchetta



Fresh Mozzarella Bruschetta
With the holidays fast approaching, we will be needing lots of appetizers and special dishes.  So I wanted to post this awesome bruschetta.  It's the perfect appetizer but I also enjoy it as a light dinner served with a soup and salad.  It's just so healthy and fresh, I could eat it all the time!  You can make this with or without the fresh mozzarella, for a vegan version, either way it’s really excellent.  Here I’ve combined the best ingredients from two friends recipes, Carrie Spencer's and Teresa Boswell's.  I love to use homemade baguettes for this recipe.  Whenever I make baguettes I freeze a few to make bruschetta with.  Of course you can use a store bought baguette as well. 

1 ½ cups chopped Roma tomatoes
2 tablespoons red onion, diced
1 large garlic clove, minced
handful fresh basil chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
½ teaspoons red wine vinegar
¼ teaspoons garlic salt
several grounds fresh ground pepper

Combine tomatoes, onion, garlic, basil, olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper in a medium bowl.  Cover and refrigerate at least an hour if possible. 
 
1 baguette or crusty Italian bread, sliced ½ inch thick
8 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon garlic salt

Combine olive oil and garlic salt and brush surface of both sides of bread.  Place bread on baking sheets and place under broiler for 1 ½ minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Watch the browning process closely, so they don't burn.

 ½ -1 lb. fresh mozzarella, sliced ¼ inch thick

Place a slice of mozzarella on each piece of bread and place under broiler until cheese is melted slightly, about 45 seconds.  Remove from oven and place a spoonful of tomato mixture on top of each slice of bread. Place bruschetta on large serving platter and garnish with a handful of fresh basil leaves.   Serve immediately, although you can serve it cold if necessary.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Andrea, this is Karen, the Miller girls mom. I need to update my google account and at least change John's user name. lol. I just wanted to tell you that I love your blog. It is so personal feeling and nice. I have tried most of your recipes and I always end up giving them out to other people or referring them to your blog. Looking forward to even more wonderful dishes to make.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Design by Caked Designs