Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Sour Dough Whole Wheat Waffles

             
Sour Dough Whole Wheat Waffles

These are our FAVORITE waffles!  Thanks goes out to grandma Carroll who makes these regularly for the grandkids.  I love how the recipe calls for dried milk (which I keep in my food storage) so I can reserve fresh milk for drinking.  The "dry milk taste" is lost in the baking process, making this recipe one of my favorite uses of our food storage dried milk. We love to slather these waffles with Nutella and top with whipped cream and berries for special breakfast occasions. When we have overnight guests, I double the batch and mix the dough up the night before, keep it in an airtight container in the refrigerator overnight.  In the morning, I let it sit out and warm up on the counter while I prepare other breakfast items.   

1 tablespoon yeast
1 cup wheat flour
1 cup white flour
1 tablespoon sugar
½ teaspoon salt
2/3 cup dry milk
5 tablespoons canola oil
1 egg
2 cups warm water

In large bowl, mix all dry ingredients together.  Add water, egg and oil. Mix and let rise for 30 minutes.  Bake on heated waffle iron and serve with favorite syrups, berries and whipped cream and Nutella for delightfully indulgent breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Caked Designs